Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Red River, Monday, March 30th

Flooding and ice jams on I-29 just north of Grand Forks
The Grand Forks Herald had some pictures from yesterday that I thought I would share. The new crest prediction is 50.6 late Thursday or Friday sometime. Then we should be on a slow decline until mid-April when there is a second crest. FYI: High probability we won't make it to Iowa for Easter, so our families need to keep that in mind. Hopefully we can still make it, but it's not looking promising right now.


Sorlie Bridge on Monday - this is the DeMers Avenue bridge we usually take to get back and forth between Grand FOrks and East Grand Forks.
View of the Red River at the Sorlie Bridge
This is a view of part of the ice jam at the THompson Bridge just south of Grand Forks. I believe this ice jam is 4-5 miles long south of the bridge.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - impressive. I hope Easter works out. We'll understand if it doesn't
Tabbi

Kelli said...

I hope it does too - we'll all be disappointed if we can't make it down there, but I won't be surprised if we are unable to travel.

Luann said...

That interstate picture is just crazy! I never thought about how the bridges block up the ice either... WE REALLY HOPE TO SEE YOU FOR EASTER...but we want you safe and secure even more!