Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Saving a Robin

We are ...... the Bird Rescuers!

I have to say the daycare crew was quite excited this morning as we helped a robin recuperate from a collision with our front windows. Everyone who comes to our house every day knows that occassionally there are dead birds lying on our sidewalk - victims to our big front windows. Now I don't have supremely clean windows..... we must have a maginificent reflection from our big maple tree in our front windows. In the past 2 weeks I think there have been 5 birds crash into the windows out front and 2 into the patio door out back (and that is REALLY not a clean window).

This morning's latest victim was a medium-sized robin. She slammed into the windows hard while I was out front with Reed, Rylee and Talasia. I kept the kids back while I grabbed some heavy duty gardening gloves and picked her up. She was thrashing around so hard and quite stunned so the goal was just to try to keep her quiet until it became obvious that she was ok or that she wasn't. After I got her picked up and she was calm I held her so the kids could get a closer look. Not too close - but close enough that they could really get a good look at her and see how pretty she was. We are all delighted about 5 minutes later as she started wiggling to get free and flew away. The kids are pretty sure that she got feeling better because she pooped (thankfully not on me). Reed's comment was, "she went poop and that made her all better!"

Thankfully this was one successful bird saving mission and the kids were delighted to get to see a robin up close and to watch her fly away safe.

1 comment:

Luann said...

That solution sometimes works for me, too!