Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Our Birds

Cedar Waxwing

I never used to be a bird person. To me, birds were "fine" - they were there, some were cooler looking than others, whatever...... I never paid much attention. And the thought of bird watching - absurd! I thought that was just silly.

But........ now that I have a kitchen that is big enough to enjoy spending time in (and I do spend a lot of time in the kitchen feeding 6-11 kids every day and all the preparation of food and clean up afterwards).... I find myself looking out the kitchen window a lot. We had a little feeder put up in the tree that started attracting a few birds here and there and for my birthday Jon and the girls got me a feeder that we were able to put on the corner of our deck, right under our tree and right outside the kitchen window. Now we feed every bird in the state of North Dakota! Seriously! A couple of weeks ago there was a stretch of several days where we had about 40-50 birds out there at all times! Fearing that it was going to start costing more to feed to birds than it does to feed our dog, we have started letting the feeder remain empty for a day or so in between feedings so that we aren't feeding the entire population of the state.
Jon's mom got us a "Birds of North Dakota" book when we moved up here and now we have all enjoyed marking the book to keep track of all our feathered friends. And we have had quite an assortment come visit our yard. I haven't managed to get pictures of all of them, but we have photographed several.
So, without further rambling.... here is a list of all our feathered friends:

Black and White Warbler, Downy Woodpecker, Chipping Sparrow, Pine Siskin, House Finch, Dark-Eyed Junco, White Throated Sparrow, Harris's Sparrow, Brown Thrasher, Ruby-Crowned Kinglet, Red-Breasted Nuthatch, Black-Capped Chickadee, White-Breasted Nuthatch, Yellow-Rumped Warbler, American Goldfinch, Yellow Warbler, Cedar Waxwing.


White-Throated Sparrow
American Goldfinch Downy Woodpecker

Dark-Eyed Junco

Brown Thrasher

1 comment:

Luann said...

How fun! I'm anxious to rehang our feeder when your dad has time to change the setup. I miss seeing the birds out there! Of course, Logan doesn't care...she just wants rabbits!